Are you aware that you don’t need a machine or any equipment for your leg workouts? You don’t even need to sign up at the gym to lose those leg fat and to stay fit. You can achieve a well-toned leg while exercising in the comfort of your home.
All you simply need is your bodyweight, a set of dumbbells and of course loads of motivation to stay consistent through your fitness journey.
Here are 11 best leg workouts you can do at home.
11 Best Leg Workouts at Home
1. Bodyweight Squat
This is one of the best leg work out routine and it is very effective. It does not require any equipment and it can be done in the comfort of your home.
This exercise helps you to build and strengthen the muscles of your legs.
Apart from the fact that this workout helps to reduce leg fat, it also helps to improve hip mobility and this is good for your general weight loss and fitness process.
Follow these steps below to perform a bodyweight squat
- Place your hands at the back of your head and set your feet shoulder width apart.
- Ensure your toes are slightly turned out.
- Gradually bend down and make sure your thighs are equivalent to the floor.
- Stay in the squatting position for some few seconds and go back to your initial position.
- Repeat this sequence for 15 reps and do 2 sets.
2. Lateral Lunges
This is an extremely effective exercise which makes your legs skinnier. It is perfect for those who want to work on their lower body for a more balanced structure.
One of the benefits of this leg workout is that it gives you balance and coordination which is good for your fitness journey. Lateral lunges also help to target multiple muscles.
This leg workout does not only target your leg fat, it also targets other areas of your body such as the abdominal and lower abs muscles.
This exercise can also help with muscular imbalances, that is, it strengthens the weak side of your body which results in balancing the muscles that need to be strengthened.
You can also do this leg workout at home and this saves you some stress and money involved with going to the gym. All you need is your body weight.
Follow these steps below to perform a Lateral Lunges
- Stand up straight and keep your feet shoulder width apart.
- Move your weight to one leg and push your hips backward.
- Ensure you go down as low as you can.
- While you lower your body, make sure you keep your legs straight and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Repeat 10 reps for each leg to complete a set.
3. Walking bridge exercise
You can easily include a walking bridge exercise into your leg workout routine. This exercise is most popular among the yoga and Pilates trainers.
This is one of the best exercises and it is quite simple.
Here are the steps you should follow below to perform a Walking bridge exercise.
- Place your back on the floor with your hands and palms on your sides facing down.
- Place your soles on the ground and bend your knees
- Press into the ground with the support of your heels and palms while you lift your hips off the ground.
- Lift your left leg off the ground without dropping your hips.
- Make sure your leg forms a straight line while you lift it up and let your leg face up.
- Bring your leg down and repeat this for your right leg
- Repeat 20 times for both legs to complete a set.
4. Squat with dumbbells
Squats are good for your legs and butts. This workout transforms your entire body. They strengthen every muscle in your body.
This will make for great leg workouts with dumbbells.
So, grab your dumbbells and follow these steps below.
- Hold the dumbbells firm to your shoulders
- Go down in squats till your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Hold that position for about 2 seconds.
- Stand up and place your dumbbells exactly above your shoulders.
- Repeat 10 times to complete one set.
5. Dumbbell swing
Dumbbell swing is a leg exercise that when done the right way can yield a lot of good results.
Swing is one of those leg workouts that is simple to remember and also easy to execute.
It does not require an extra equipment apart from a set of dumbbells with the weight you can easily manage.
The work out includes most of your body muscles which is along the posterior chain of your body.
It also helps to burn calories because it involves a large number of your muscles. It also improves your body balance.
Here are the steps to follow to perform a dumbbell swing:
- Place your feet on the ground.
- Widen your feet.
- Hold the dumbbells firm with your both hands, then squat while your arms are fully extended.
- Swing the dumbbells between your legs
- When the dumbbells are behind you, move your hips to the front and place your weight back to the initial point
- Repeat 15 times.
6. Squats jump
Squat jumps are also one of the effective leg workouts that help to reduce leg fat. There are many benefits of this leg work out. It helps you to burn more fat. This is because it makes you gain more muscles and gaining muscles is one of the effective ways to burn calories.
It eliminates effects that can lead to the weakening of your muscles. Thereby, maintaining and improving your mobility and balance.
Follow the steps below on how to perform a squat jump
- Stand on your feet and make your feet bit wider than your hip-width
- Get down to squat
- Jump up as high as you can go and make sure your legs are straight.
- Place your hand down for balance while jumping up.
- Ensure your back is straight.
- Repeat this 10 times. If you feel up to it, you can do more.
7. Side leg raises
In search of a leg workout that will make your legs skinnier? Then, look no further. All you need is to give this leg workout a try.
Side leg raises which is commonly called or known as side leg lifts is one of the most effective leg workouts that can be done from the comfort of your home.
Apart from the fact that it reduces leg fat, this leg workout is also great for your hips and thigh muscle. It reduces excess fat and increases your lean muscle mass.
Here are the steps you should follow for a side leg raises
- Lean to one side of your body and straighten your legs.
- Place your both legs together on that side.
- Carry the leg on top and place it up in a controlled way
- Ensure you lift your body up from your hip and butt and not from your lower back
- Repeat this on the other side and do it for 10 reps per leg.
8. Side Lunge
This is a great exercise that is quite easy to follow through. It is very effective for your lower body. Side lunges strengthen your legs, quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
Side Lunges also get your heart pumping which is good for the health of your heart. It improves balance and stability. It also helps you burn more calories.
Follow these steps below to perform a side lunge
- Stand with your back straight.
- Keep your feet together with your hands on your hips.
- Keep your right leg straight and keep your toe pointed forward.
- Raise your left knee and drive it to the side while bringing your body down until your right leg straightens out on the side.
- Always ensure your feet remain flat on the floor.
- Stay in that position for 2 seconds and return to the starting point.
- Repeat 10 times for each leg.
9. Leg Lifts
Leg lifts are also called leg raises. This is a leg toning workout which helps to reduce the fat around your leg. It also works on your lower and upper abs.
You don’t move your arms during the exercise, you retain your arms in a position.
To do a leg lift or a leg raise, follow the steps below
- Lie down flat on your back.
- Lay your hands down flat beside you.
- Raise your legs up from the ground and breathe out while doing that.
- Make sure your knees are locked in throughout this exercise.
- Stay in that position for at least 30 seconds to complete the set.
Deadlift is a leg workout which works for your entire body. Deadlifts improve your body posture and it also helps to improve a bad body posture.
Including a deadlift exercise into your leg workout will assist in increasing your body strength. It will improve your glutes, back, hamstrings and upper back.
In addition, studies have shown that deadlifts can help in reducing back injury.
According to Nicholas Licameli, a physical therapist at Professional Physical Therapy, deadlift involves the full control of your hips, deep abdominal and pelvis and all these are very important in the treatment of any form of back pain.
Most importantly, for those that have little or no much time for exercise, deadlift can be recommended for them. This exercise is a time saver.
This is mainly because it works on most of your muscle and covers mostly all the areas of your body. You don’t have to perform several exercises to get the much-needed result.
All you need is to follow these steps below:
- Stand up with your feet and shoulder wide apart and have a dumbbell in each of your hands.
- Place your arms down in front of your thighs with your palms holding the dumbbell tight.
- Ensure your elbows are locked, bend down from your waist and come back up.
- Repeat 10 reps.
This is a cardiovascular exercise that strengthens your heart and also helps eliminates leg fat.
It provides a lot of benefits to your lower body by strengthening your leg and improving your body balance.
It also improves your knee strength. The switching of the knee during this exercise helps to pump more blood into your heart which is good for the health of your heart.
This is an effective exercise that you should include in your leg workout routine.
This leg exercise requires no equipment, all you need is your bodyweight and loads of motivation as usual.
Below are steps to performing skaters
- Place your body in a small squat.
- Jump towards your left side and land on your left leg
- Place your right leg on the back to your left ankle, and ensure it does not touch the ground.
- Jump to your right side and land on your right leg
- Continue this routine as many times as possible
On a final note, to ensure that all these leg workouts are effective. It is very important you stay consistent and follow the steps listed above for each of these 11 Best leg workouts at home.
Also, ensure you go for a healthy diet and reduce your sugar intake to get your much-needed result.
Remember to also have enough rest, drink lots of water and avoid stress as much as you can.
All the best in your weight loss and fitness journey. Always remember to stay consistent and stay dedicated to your goals.