We have these burning fitness desire to improve our posture and have a more attractive physique.
Yet, our schedules don’t give us the opportunity to work at it and improve our posture.
It’s very easy to argue that, “The hardest part of bodybuilding is creating the time to go to the gym”.
For others, it would be something in line with, “The gym is too far, I don’t feel like going out” or “It is raining”.
With all these excuses, their desires would not be achieved.
But then, who says you need to go to the gym and be under the guidance of body fitness experts before you can build muscles?
That is a mistaken belief as you can still have effective workouts at home without going to the gym.
All you need to do is to have the basic equipment needed, do the right workout at the right time.
You will need to pick the best chest workouts routine that is best for you and maintain a regular pace.
Here are 11 best chest workouts you can do at home and their chest workouts routine.
11 Best Chest Workouts at Home
Pushup is one of the workouts you can do at home to improve your upper body strength. It is performed by resting on one’s toes and hands and pushing one’s weight off the floor.
Note that you don’t require any equipment for this. All you need is a free space and your hands in perfect working condition.
An advantage of working from the floor is that it would enable you to focus on your core and prevent your other muscles from declining into a bad form.
There are many different variations of pushups. While they all have the same general effect, each of them slight differs in their approach.
Note that your chest workouts are not complete without them.
- Lie flat with your arms stretched out in front of you.
- Palms flat on the floor with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the feet together or open slightly. Inhale and bend your torso, then push yourself back up while exhaling.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps. If you are up to it, you can do even more.
- Note that since we have different variations, the Directions given is for the general pushup.
This is a type of chest workout where you would be required to lift yourself upwards.
In other to achieve a perfect posture, you would require a bar above your head to be able to do these.
- Grab a pull up bar with your palms facing outwards.
- Pull yourself up, letting your chin go slightly above the bar, then lift and cross your legs.
- Start with fully extended arms and repeat the movement (up and down).
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Every bodybuilder wants to fill up his t-shirts to be a Dwayne Johnson or an Arnold Schwarzenegger.
In reality, they have had to face how much chest mass these men pack just from deadlifts alone.
This workout would require you to lift a loaded barbell off the ground from a stabilized bent-over position.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-apart with your mid-foot under the bar.
- Grab the bar without bending your legs.
- Lift your chest with a straight- back, in a bent position.
- Keep the bar above midfoot never letting it move off.
- Hold and stand up with the weight.
- Keep the bar in contact with your legs when you pull.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
4. Chest press
This is the “god” of all workouts. Most gym rats believe this chest workout is for them since rapid results are seen almost immediately after doing it.
A plus for this workout is that it is not necessary for you to go to the gym to be able to do it. You can definitely do it at home.
All you need for this is a bar or a lever.
- Lie flat on a mat with your legs arched, and the bar slightly behind your head.
- Lift the barbell and hold directly over the center of your chest with outstretched arms.
- Pull down while breathing in, and then release your arms breathing out.
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps.
5. Dumbbell fly
The use of dumbbells is sometimes preferred for home workouts because unlike the barbells where a weaker hand is mostly supported by the stronger one.
The weaker hand can’t be helped while using the dumbbells. This means both hands get developed based on its work amount.
- To perform this workout, pick up a relatively lightweight dumbbell in each hand
- Lie on a bench or on the mat with arched legs and raise both dumbbells straight up over your chest with straight arms.
- Starting at this position, spread both arms outward in a wide arc without bending your elbows until your arms are out at your sides.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
6. Dumbbell around the world
As the name implies, no, there’s no traveling involved. This is a workout that would require you to work and move in a circle. This is a great chest workout you can do with dumbbells.
All you need for this exercise are a pair of dumbbells and a bench.
- Lie on a bench and hold a pair of dumbbells. Let your palms face up outside your hips.
- Lift the dumbbells from your hips, let it pass the side of your chest till it gets to the top of your shoulders.
- Ensure that the lifting of weights occurs at the same time.
- When you achieve this, take it down back to when your palms were face up outside your hips.
7. Standing one-arm landmine press
This is a unique workout which would help to improve the mobility of your shoulder, and it also rocks your abdominal muscles.
Like other home workouts, try it for a great chest pullover.
- You need to place the final point of a barbell into a corner safely, then grab the opposite end with an arm.
- Be on an upright position, with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Push your gluteal muscles back and let your knees bend a little.
- Let your elbow be by your side, and your wrist up close to your shoulder.
- Brace your core in such a way that it would be able to withstand pressure and then push your arm to a vertical position towards the roof.
8. Weighted Pushup
According to a study by Jason Hartman, a trainer for the Special Forces in the United States of America, adding weight to your back and doing pushup with it would make you pack on serious muscles.
The weight could be a plate, weight vest, your partner a bag or any load you feel comfortable in on your back.
- Have on the weight you intend to use and maintain the position for a pushup.
- Allow someone put the weight on your back. Note that the weight should be balanced before you start so that you won’t risk starting again.
- Keep pushing your body up and down.
- Pause and go over the process again.
9. Barbell curls
This workout helps build the chest muscles as well as the biceps.
Its rewards are usually felt almost immediately, making it an easy go-to for most people with the passion to fill up their chests.
- Grab the bar with an overhand grip with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Stand up straight up and hold the barbell few inches away from your body.
- Keeping your arms straight. Lift the barbell up to the shoulder level.
- Hold for few seconds, then drop back to the starting position.
10. Dumbbell press
Like every workout for chest building, this also yields a visible result and strengthens the arms while increasing the chest.
Note that when done immediately after the dumbbell fly’s, it’s a worthwhile workout.
- Lie on a mat with a dumbbell in each hand and your legs arched.
- With your hands fully stretched directly over your shoulders and palms facing outwards.
- Pull in your abdomen and lift your chin a bit inwards.
- Lower the dumbbells down and a little to the side until your elbows are slightly below your shoulders.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
11. Bent over barbell roll
This is a surprisingly rarely performed chest workout despite its importance.
It’s fun to do and helps relieve the boredom that comes with repeating the common routines regularly.
- Stand in a medium stance with your midfoot under the bar and your toes pointing outwards.
- Grab the bar at an average grip width.
- Bend inwards with your backs straight.
- Lift the barbell to your elbows are fully extended while breathing in.
- After that, release your arms while trying to keep them straight.
- 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
Chest Workout Routine Guide
Here are some things you need to have at the back of your mind when doing chest workouts for mass.
They are rules that should guide your chest workouts routine, and it is important that you follow them so that you can get desired results.
- Warm up before you start exercising
You need to get your body prepared for the workout first, instead of just plunging into it.
This would enable you to perform better and also to prevent you from getting injured during the workout.
Stretch your muscles after warming up
It is necessary for you to stretch your muscles after you warm up.
This would help to enhance the strength of your muscles, make it recover faster, and just like warming up, it would also prevent you from getting injured.
Perform the moves in the correct manner
Two advantages of going to the gym for chest workouts overdoing them at home is the fact that in the gym, you would find all the workout equipment you need.
Also, there would be body experts to help beginners perform the workout as they are supposed to.
Since an expert would not be there to guide you during your home workout, as a beginner, you need to make sure that you are doing the right workout so as not to waste your time.
This is because you might not be able to get the expected result you desire if you are not doing the right workout.
Therefore, you need to make sure that you get the exact movements required.
Have the necessary home gym equipment
As said earlier, one of the advantages of going to the gym is the fact that you would have access to all the necessary workout equipment you would need to make your chest workouts bodybuilding a success.
Since you would be doing your workout at home, it would be essential for you to get the essential equipment you would need if you can’t afford to get all.
As seen above, for most workouts, the only equipment needed is a pair of dumbbells, a barbell, and a bench.
Note that when it comes to doing the different varieties of the pushups, you don’t require any equipment, and they are definitely good for a great chest pullover.
Sometimes, when you don’t go out to get something done, you might feel relaxed at home and not do it at the end of the day.
You are more likely to procrastinate and keep putting off your workout since it would be in your home, and at your own time.
If you are really serious about working out to get a chest turn over, you need to be dedicated. Without that, you might not be successful with your chest bodybuilding.
Consistency is definitely one of the keys to achieving your desire.
Do it regularly
In other to get the desired results, you would be required to follow this workout routine at least twice in a week.
Find out the workouts that are suitable for you
When you start working out, attempt some, if not all of these different chest workouts and continue with the ones that are suitable for you.
Note that an advantage of trying different workouts is so that your workout would not get monotonous.
And you would be able to select the best chest workouts that work for you.